Bristol’s Multi-Disciplinary Sex & Relationships and Substance Misuse Training Programme
We offer a number of training courses for those working with young people in Bristol. The courses aim to increase workers’ confidence and skills to respond appropriately to young people’s queries, refer them to appropriate sources of support and advice and to carry out effective sex and relationships and substance misuse work. All the courses are facilitated by members of a multi-agency sex and relationships and substance misuse trainers’ network.
To find out more about each course and to apply online just click on the title of the course you are interested in. You can also contact us if you have any queries about any of our courses. Once you have booked your place, unless otherwise contacted, you will be sent an official confirmation email 2-3 weeks prior to the course. In most cases we are able to offer a place to everyone who applies. Please ensure the email address you have registered with us is correct and individual to you. You have your manager’s approval to attend.
What if I can’t attend?
These courses are free but if you find you cannot attend, you must let us know 48 working hours before the course or you will be charged £50 for full day courses and £25 for half day courses.
Please email email@example.com or call 0117 922 3747 if you are unable to make a session
What if I don’t work in Bristol?
If you work outside the Bristol area you can still apply for some of our courses. Please be aware that we will charge £25 for a half day and £50 for a full day course and if the course is oversubscribed we will give priority to professionals working in Bristol.
To get back to the For Professionals main page please click here
- Download Full Training Brochure here
- Our NEW 2012-13 training brochure can be downloaded to your computer.
Level 1 training
- *Supporting Foster Carers Level 1: Sex and Relationships and Young People
- This introductory half-day course is for foster carers only working with young people in the Bristol area. This forms the foundation for the sex and relationships Level 2 courses
- 4YP Receptionists’ and Pharmacy Counter Staff Training: Delivered by Loudmouth: Education and Training through Theatre
- This short and fast moving training helps receptionists from GP surgeries and pharmacy counter staff to listen to young people’s views and develop ways to make their services truly young people friendly.
- Effectively Engaging and Communicating with Young People. Delivered by: Loudmouth Education and Training Through Theatre
- This short and fast moving training helps staff working in GPs, pharmacies and school nurses to reflect on and develop their communication skills and to feel more confident communicating with young people.
- Sex and Relationships
- This introductory half-day course is for anyone who works with young people and who has not had any previous sex and relationships training. This forms the foundation for the sex and relationships Level 2 courses
- Substance Misuse
- This introductory one day course is for anyone who works with young people and who has not had any previous substance misuse training. This forms the foundation for the Substance Misuse Level 2 course.
- Supporting parents and carers to talk to young people about drugs and alcohol
- This one day course aims to provide those working with parents, carers and families with the skills and materials to support parents and carers in speaking with their children about drugs and alcohol
- Supporting parents and professionals to talk to children (0-13yrs) about growing up, puberty, relationships & sex
- This half day course aims to provide an insight into the role of parents and professionals when addressing growing up, sex and relationships with 0-13 year olds.
Level 2 training
- *NEW* HIV Awareness Training
- This full day introductory course to raise awareness of HIV and to increase workers' ability and confidence to discuss this issue with young people
- *NEW* Working with BME Young People and Sexual Health
- A one day Level 2 session to improve workers ability to work with young people from BME communities.
- *Supporting Foster Carers Level 2: Talking with Children about Sex and Relationships
- This half-day course is for foster carers only working with young people in the Bristol area. This training is designed for foster carers who have already attended the level 1 session and are looking to move on to other level 2 training sessions
- Abortion: Dilemmas and Decisions
- A one day course for anyone who works with young people and who has an awareness of sexual health, including the Level 1 Sex and Relationships.
- C-card Training
- A half day session that prepares workers to run Bristol's C-card condom distribution scheme.
- Contraception, STIs and Values in Sexual Health
- A one day session to improve workers skills and knowledge in working with young people on sexual health issues.
- Delay and Positive Choices
- A one day session to improve workers ability to work with young people on delay, self-esteem and promote positive choices.
- Delivering Drug and Alcohol Education to Young People in Informal Settings
- A one day Level 2 session to improve workers ability to work with young people on drugs and alcohol.
- Female Genital Mutilation
- A half day course aimed at building awareness of female genital mutilation and workers' roles and responsibilites to safeguard children in regards to this issue.
- Healthy Relationships & Teen Abuse
- A one day course exploring healthy and unhealthy relationships for those working with young people
- Hidden Harm
- This one day course aims to enable workers to offer support to young people affected by a parent/carer's substance misuse and to provide workers with details of agencies that can support the family
- Impact of the Internet on Sex and Relationships
- A one day workshop to raise awareness of the issues associated with young people’s use of the internet such as online grooming, sexting and pornography and the legal framework around this.
- Planning Sex and Relationships Education and Activities in Informal and Educational Settings
- This half-day workshop is for anyone who works with young people and needs an opportunity to view and discuss appropriate use of existing and new resources for Sex and Relationships education in schools and other youth settings.
- Sex and Relationships and C-card
- A one day course combining Level 1 Sex and Relationships (which is a pre-requistie to C-card training) and C-card.
- Working with Boys and Young Men and Sex and Relationships
- A one day session to focus on developing a practical approach to working with boys and young men in the area of sexual health.
- Working with Girls and Young Women and Sex and Relationships
- A one day Level 2 session to improve workers ability to work with girls and young women on sexual health.
- Working with LGBT Young People and Sexual Health
- A one day Level 2 session to improve workers ability to work with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender young people on sexual health.
- Working with Young People at Risk of Sexual Exploitation
- A half day session that aims to build workers' awareness and skills in the identification of sexual exploitation and the needs of children and young people abused within this context.
- Working with Young People with Learning Difficulties and Sexual Health
- A one day session to focus on developing a practical approach to working with young people with learning disabilities in the area of sexual health. Many aspects of the course are also applicable to those working with adults.